Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's neither here nor there.

HomePortalGalleryIt's a TVLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery

Go down 
4 posters

See the first post. Should we?
Yes.
Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_vote_lcap100%Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 6 ]
No.
Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_vote_lcap0%Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
fluctuatingpersona
Invincible Spinner
fluctuatingpersona

Stats
TE Name: Drehen

Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery Empty
PostSubject: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 pm

So, has anyone played the game Paranoia? No? Well, it doesn't matter XD

Based (veeeery) loosely on the tabletop game of the same name, this RP involves agents working for an organization tasked with maintaining the "peace" in an Orwellian society (think 1984, a.k.a. "that thing with Big Brother in it"). However, as you might expect, it's impossible to maintain perfect legality in such a society...You may be undermining the system from within or just smuggling illegal music, but everyone in this RP is a "criminal".

So, how do you play? Simple. Undermine your fellow players, exposing their crimes to gain favor in the organization, while covering up your own crimes.

Some ground rules:

1) There will be a "narrator" (Levi, probably). Whether your actions succeed or fail will be determined by him. To gain an advantage, try to be creative! Boring plans usually fail quickly in this setting.

2) You have unlimited lives (explained in-universe as "cloning"), so don't panic if you die; just try something different :3

3)On a similar note, since it IS a PvP-type RP, keep it civil. There are no true winners, so don't panic if you die a lot, and remember: It's a game where you're SUPPOSED to backstab people. So no hard feelings, got it? =w=b

Understandably, the nature of this sort of thing leads it to be a little dangerous...so weigh in, people. An interesting idea, or more trouble than it's worth?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 9:58 pm

From reading this I want to wear a suit while taking people down simply because I can.
Back to top Go down
fluctuatingpersona
Invincible Spinner
fluctuatingpersona

Stats

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:01 pm

That's fine~ =w=b
As long as you're human, you can be whoever you want to be XD
For the sake of simplicity (and game balance), it's also a non-supernatural setting...but since it's the future, you can substitute technology for minor things, like physical enhancements, computer skills, and anything that the common populace could get their hands on.
Back to top Go down
Orrin

Orrin

Stats
TE Name:

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Additionally, as my rules (if they can be called that) will go:
No numbers, no stats, no dice, no equipment or abilities you say your characters have will affect their chance of success. I will likely always provide a way for any character, even a practically "naked" one, to succeed. I don't like characters with super powers; and weaknesses don't make up for strengths. If you make a character like that, I promise you that I will do all I can to use their weaknesses against them, and all for the sake of having an interesting narrative. The most interesting characters are the average ones.
Like good improv, there should be no saying "no" in this roleplay. What I say happens, happens, and, as much as it might mess up the story, the same goes for anyone else. Even if it's stupid, we have to listen and react to each other. Of course, that said, you can't just say "My character kills yours and you are dead for the rest of eternity you stupid cur so smoke it (rude gesture)". If something isn't within your character's power to do, you probably shouldn't do it.
All in all, just trust me; enough bad stuff will happen. To everyone. It's interesting that way.

As for making your characters, do your best not to define them so much. Part of what makes a roleplay, or rather, any literary work interesting is character development. I don't want a page that says everything about your characters before we even start the story. When (we think) we know everything about someone, we often lose interest in them, yes? No matter how interesting they actually are. It's sad, but true. So let the story shape your characters, rather than letting your characters shape the story. At the very most, name them and describe their appearance. If it helps, you can decide what it is they want or what they do for a living, but I don't want to know anything else until an event reveals that characteristic. And I'd rather you not know either. "C'est la vie, non? Do we ever know what even our own selves will do when something happens to us? How can we speak for someone that doesn't even exist, even if they are our own creation? Let the characters make themselves."

These things being said, my restrictions are this: Don't restrict yourself, and just relax, dangit.
Back to top Go down
Orrin

Orrin

Stats
TE Name:

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:22 pm

And yeah, the more creative the better. If your post is pleasant or entertaining to read, I will send down my favors upon your character.

One more little detail. I have this terrible habit of letting people win when they even just try. I'll see about being more strict when it comes to success, but I think the reason I do it in the first place is because I want the RP to be interesting rather than challenging. So we'll see.
Back to top Go down
fluctuatingpersona
Invincible Spinner
fluctuatingpersona

Stats

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Yep, pretty much the above; though with one change: All characters are part of the "agency" involved in the storyline, or at the very least have some connection to it.
That way, there will be more to gain (or lose) from conflict.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 12:25 am

Is there a general base for this "agency"?what is the "agency" supposedly for?assuming that they have some form of a cover up
Back to top Go down
fluctuatingpersona
Invincible Spinner
fluctuatingpersona

Stats

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 am

The "agency" is basically just a policing agency that hauls in "criminals".
Which makes our characters gigantic hypocrites, but that's kinda the point XD
Back to top Go down
Optoer

Optoer

Stats
TE Name: Optoer

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 2:16 pm

This is relevant to my interests.

And it seems like a game where people can let off aggression and most of all play around.
Back to top Go down
EternalofXoleriog

EternalofXoleriog

Stats
TE Name: Aniv de la Rev

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:01 pm

This RP... is relevant to my interests

XD
Back to top Go down
Orrin

Orrin

Stats
TE Name:

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

So... How are we starting it?
Back to top Go down
fluctuatingpersona
Invincible Spinner
fluctuatingpersona

Stats

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Hmm...Would you like to start it off, Levi? You're the narrator, you seem to have the idea down...and I'm gonna be really busy this week XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery   Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paranoia- An exciting tale of treachery
Page 1 of 1